• Skip to primary navigation
  • Skip to main content
  • Skip to primary sidebar
  • Skip to footer

News and entertainment worth sharing – York and North Yorkshire

  • News
  • Radio
  • Vouchers
  • WIN
  • More
    • Tickets
    • Lifestyle
    • Advertise
    • About
    • Contact

Back to the drawing board? York Central plans may need to be resubmitted if Leeman Road stays open

Wed 12 May, 2021 by Chloe Laversuch - Local Democracy Reporter

An aerial view of how the York Central regeneration would look

Filed Under: Changing city

Planning applications for the huge York Central project may need to be resubmitted and millions of pounds of funding for the scheme could be put at risk if plans to stop Leeman Road from being closed are successful.

York Central Partnership applied for permission to permanently close Leeman Road at the National Railway Museum as part of the development. But more than 1,400 residents objected to the road closure and last week a government inspector concluded a public inquiry into the plans.

He heard arguments from both sides – representatives of York Central Partnership and the National Railway Museum and from residents and Holgate councillors.

The inspector will now make a recommendation to the Secretary of State for Transport, Grant Shapps MP, who will decide if plans to close the road can go ahead, or if they should be halted.

 Closing Leeman Road to traffic ‘would cause huge negative impacts to thousands of people’

City of York Council officers admit that if plans to close Leeman Road are refused, it could mean that two large planning applications that have already been approved for the project need to be reviewed – or even resubmitted.

The project has also been granted £77.1 million funding from the Government and £37.3 million from West Yorkshire Combined Authority (WYCA) – both of which may need to be reviewed if the stopping up order is rejected.

The public inquiry

The public inquiry started on April 27 and lasted for five days.

The council took a neutral stance at the inquiry, neither supporting nor objecting to the plan to stop up Leeman Road. Inspector Paul Singleton, who will write a report advising the Secretary of State on the decision, said: “I do find that a little unusual but I do note that that’s the position the council has opted.”

Concluding the inquiry, Mr Singleton said he will prepare a report for the Secretary of State at the end of this month.

A decision will then be made by the Transport Secretary.

Completely new application

Tracey Carter from the council told a meeting: “The conclusion from the planning consultants was that if the stopping up order was not granted, then that would require the reserved matters planning application for the infrastructure and the outline planning application to be reconsidered to whether the changes that that would then require were so significant that it was a completely new application.

“Or whether it was for a section 77 consent [which allows significant changes to an application but not a brand new application].

“In either of those scenarios it would require the funders to confirm that their funding was still conditioned on either a revised outline or a reserved matters application.”

She added: “If the stopping up order is not granted and a different road design, alignment and timescale is required, it would need to go back to [WYCA’s] investment committee for sign off as well.”

Neil Ferris from the council added that York Central Partnership and the council had been following the process for the public inquiry and added: “We fully expect that stopping up order to be given.”

He said the risk has always been there and there are plans to review the project and funding if it is not granted.


Trending »


Primary Sidebar

Footer

Contact us

General
01904 375 029

Studio/competitions
01904 375 030

Email YorkMix »

York office
8A Tower St
York
YO1 9SA

Listen to us

You can listen to YorkMix Radio using your DAB+ radio, Alexa or Google smart speaker, or online using the links below.

Click here to listen to YorkMix Radio »

Download the app from Google Play store
Download the app from Apple App store
About us

YorkMix is a trading name of
York Sound Ltd

Registered in England
Company no: 12831940
VAT no: GB289462452

YorkMix Radio public file

  • About
  • Public file
  • Privacy policy
  • Corrections & complaints
  • Contact

Copyright © 2025 YorkMix