• Skip to primary navigation
  • Skip to main content
  • Skip to primary sidebar
  • Skip to footer

News and entertainment worth sharing – York and North Yorkshire

  • News
  • Radio
  • Vouchers
  • WIN
  • More
    • Tickets
    • Lifestyle
    • Advertise
    • About
    • Contact

New venue in York will be ‘a community hub, not a late-night bar’

Thu 8 Aug, 2024 by Joe Gerrard – Local Democracy Reporter

How the pavilion at the Cocoa Works would look according to planning documents

Filed Under: Business, News

A café owner has pledged that his new venue will not be a bustling, late-night restaurant following a noise complaint against his alcohol licence bid.

Ted Hustler, owner of the Tasca Frango Portguese restaurant, said their new Café Frango venture at the Cocoa Works development would serve drinks with food and not be a bar.

He was responding to a complaint from a resident of a neighbouring flat who claimed they would not be able to leave their windows open do to noise at night.

It comes as Café Frango’s alcohol licence application was approved following its hearing at York Council’s Licensing Committee on Thursday, August 8.

The venue is set to move into a pavilion built as part of the housing development at the former Rowntree factory in Haxby Road.

Mr Hustler already owns the Tasca Frango restaurant in King’s Square which opened in August last year.

Councillors heard Café Frango would serve food such as pastries and bacon sandwiches in the morning and at lunchtime.

Small plate dishes like those at the Kings Square restaurant would be served in the afternoon and evening with beer or wine available as an accompaniment.

There would be 12 seats outside and space for up to 28 customers to sit inside.

No noise complaints

Tasca Frango on Colliergate. Photograph: Richard McDougall

The licence approved by councillors would allow it to serve alcohol between 8am and 11pm, seven days a week but with some conditions.

Alcohol will only be served with food and the venue’s doors and windows will have to be closed after 9pm except when people enter and leave the premises.

The café would also be required to make space within the pavilion available to those living at the Cocoa Works for community uses.

The objector, who was the only one to lodge a complaint against the application, said they did not disagree with serving alcohol but they were concerned about potential nuisance noise.

They said: “Noise already carries from street level to open windows and I fear that once the pavilion is operating as proposed I and other residents will not be able to leave out windows open at night.”

Mr Hustler said he did not intend to stay open for the full hours applied for, adding his King’s Square restaurant had received no noise complaints since opening.

The owner said: “This isn’t going to be a big, bustling restaurant, it should be very quiet, it’s not going to cause any disruption at all.

“We want to create a community hub for residents, not a late-night bar.”


Trending »


Primary Sidebar

Footer

Contact us

General
01904 375 029

Studio/competitions
01904 375 030

Email YorkMix »

York office
8A Tower St
York
YO1 9SA

Listen to us

You can listen to YorkMix Radio using your DAB+ radio, Alexa or Google smart speaker, or online using the links below.

Click here to listen to YorkMix Radio »

Download the app from Google Play store
Download the app from Apple App store
About us

YorkMix is a trading name of
York Sound Ltd

Registered in England
Company no: 12831940
VAT no: GB289462452

YorkMix Radio public file

  • About
  • Public file
  • Privacy policy
  • Corrections & complaints
  • Contact

Copyright © 2025 YorkMix